Monday, January 16, 2006

ICICI - Hum hain na!!!

Phone banking is a wonderful thing that changed the way banks function in last 4-5 years in india. All normal transactions can be done by just a phone call. Be it making a draft, credit card payment, fund transfer and list goes on and on. I was very much impressed with this system and thought it to be flawless until one fine day (which was almost 10 months back, sometime in March-05) I decided to ask ICICI for my internet banking password of my credit card.

I was assured that my password would be delivered within 7 working days. But even after 20-30 days when I didn't receive it, I called them back and came to know that it has been returned because of "house locked". "But there was no indication (some kind of slip or token) from your courier company that they made any attempt to deliver my courier" I protested. "We don't know about that sir, this is what our system says" was the plain response. So I put another request and again same story. I could not understand how can a courier company so unprofessional that they don't even follow simple and standard procedure to put a slip to inform addressee that delivery attempt has been made and since house was locked contact at XYZ number. Next time when I put request I asked for the ph. no. of courier company and my courier number to cross check with the company. Now the surprise of the year was waiting for me there.

I asked about my courier status and I was told that courier has been returned to ICICI because addressee has left the place. This was a big shock for me to know that actually they have been posting my password to my Baroda residence, which I left in Dec-04. So it was not fault of courier service. There was some problem in the database system of ICICI that all the bills and irrelevant schemes etc I get at my current Mumbai address but whenever I ask for password it is posted to Baroda. It was Aug-05 and I just came to know about the actual problem. Now I thought it should be easy to inform them about the problem, get my address updated and get password at right address. But I was grossly mistaken. I was informed that my address has been updated long back and there is no way it could be posted to Baroda address. So I took one more chance and placed another request. But alas! It was again sent to Baroda. And then onward from Aug to Dec I placed at least 4 password requests with the assurance that this time I will definitely get it, but I am waiting for it till date.

It was 2006 now and I made a New Year resolution (my first New Year resolution ever. Thanks to ICICI) to get my password within this year. I called them right on 2nd Jan and after a lot of firing, put my year's first request. With the repeated confirmations I was assured that this time I would be getting it soon. After 2-3 days I called up courier service and as expected it was again sent to Baroda. Now this is the limit. How much patient one should have after 10 month wait? I called them right away and here is my conversation with ICICI phone banking officer:

PBO: (in his typical pseudo polite voice) hello, this is XYZ. How may I assist you?
Me: I have serious problem with your system. (And them I explained entire episode)
PBO: May I know when did you place last request?
Me: I put it on 2nd Jan and the request number is XYZ.
PBO: But sir, just 3 days back we registered your request. We need 7 working days to deliver password.
Me: I know that. I confirmed with your courier company Express IT and they informed me that post was sent to Baroda.
PBO: but we have 3-4 different companies to handle our courier. How can you be so sure that Express IT had your courier?
Me: (Trynig to act smart dude?) I received SMS from your bank on 4th Jan at 2:19 AM (look at the time. Do they want to impress customers how hard they are working for even a small request such as internet banking password?) SMS says that "Request No XYZ: Internet banking password for credit card no. &#@$ sent on 03-01-06 through Express IT courier vide airway bill number XXXXXXX".
PBO: That's fine but we need 7 working days to deliver post. Please wait for 3-4 more days it will be definitely delivered to you sir.
ME: (are these people suppose to keep away common sense while talking to customers?) But if it is posted to Baroda how will it delivered in Mumbai?
PBO: But our system is showing that it is posted to your Bombay address.
Me: That’s what I am trying to tell you that it is showing same thing since last many months but it is always sent to Baroda. There is some problem with your system. Please get it corrected.
PBO: No sir, your latest address is the only address with us and this is not possible.
Me: (O God! give me patience) what do you think I am lying or your courier company people are fools?
PBO: I cannot confirm that. I request to wait for few more days. You will get it.
Me: (Please stop me. I am going to jump out of window from 2nd floor) Okay do one thing just call your courier company right now and confirm what I am saying.
PBO: Sorry sir, that's not possible. We are not allowed to call outside from call center.
Me: Then what am I suppose to do? Give me some solution.
PBO: I already have given you the solution. Please wait for few more days.
Me: (O man! learn to look and think beyond that stupid screen in front of you. Your system is not the ultimate truth of the universe.) But it’s not addressed to me then what’s the use of waiting?
PBO: Please sir, I think you are wasting your and my time now.
Me: (God help the company who have such persons to cater the need of customers) OK, how can I cancel the card?
PBO: Please wait I will connect you to concerned person.
Me: thank you. (And thank God too. At least he does not have any problem with this)

After some time-
PBO2: (another pseudo-polite voice) Mr. Sapre, I learnt that you want to cancel your card. May I know the reason?
Me: (God! if you exist give me patience to explain whole thing again)
And then I repeat entire thing again.
And then he repeats almost the same things said by PBO.
PBO2: Please wait for 3-4 days sir. It will definitely get delivered.
Me: (so he believes in nothing is impossible) OK. What if it does not? (I am out of patience and energy to argue with database readers)
PBO2: It will sir. Our system says so. No need to worry.
Me: If it does (get delivered) I am happy. But what if it doesn't.
PBO2: then you can cancel your credit card, as you want it now.
Me: OK.

I disconnected the phone and then......... don’t remember what I did then.
After this amusing conversation I had to take a small nap to come back to real world.

If you know somebody from ICICI please forward this link to him. I hope some day almighty (read ICICI) will pity me and I will get my password. Till then I will keep trying "Hum hain na";)

26 Comments:

At Monday, January 16, 2006 11:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a blogger myself, nor do I read blogs often, but I came across this one through a friend of mine. This is a good post and I could relate to the emotions you had while talking to the PBO! =))

And, I can't help adding here that ALL the customer service representatives of ALL the companies, whether they are in the US or India, are like this only! They have been trained not to think beyond their computer screens, and never take any step which might take them outside the bounds of their "universe of truth"! :)) I had some similar problems with Verizon (but I was more aggressive there since my money was involved ;-) ), and my father has had problems with the ICICI Credit card division too since the last 1.5 years, and I am still not sure if it has got solved or not!!!!!!!!!

Finally, I do hope that this link gets to some official from ICICI Bank!

 
At Monday, January 16, 2006 10:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As rb said, all the customer services are same, i had similar problem with Citibank and ICICI bank, Only difference is after sometime they started looking for me and i guess they are still looking for me:)

I never made the last bill payment for ICICI credit card. Their system had some error and it added a zero with every entry. So if i had dinner for 1200/- (INR) it showed 12000/- (INR). Obviously if this happens they card will show overlimit. And they charged me 2000/- fine for overlimit. I faxed them the same bill they couriered me twice and still they said its not possible=))

Next time they called me that your bill is due for last 2 months, i said thats not possible;)

 
At Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashish, the same is the story with me too...
i have raised nearly 20 requests... and till now no password is delivered..

also from last month the bill statment which was coming correctly to my address has stopped coming...

so now am totally reling on mails for bills as well as details...

ufff... what a hell it is to get a password from ICICI...!!!!!!!

..Abhinav Jain

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also suffering same way. 3 requests are futile. I need to walk into ICICI branches to withdraw money every time I need. Mere waste of presious time when you actuall can use your ATM just 50 mtrs. away from home in midnight even.

Shailendra Kr. Chaurasia, Delhi

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too ..ohh god ....open and fill with something in the minds of these ICICI bank fellows.

Every time I called they used to tell the same story ...wait 3 to 4 days.... wait 3 to 4 days


Till today i didn't get the password

 
At Thursday, October 05, 2006 9:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too had some probs with the ICICI. I applied for some loan few months back. I gave them all my account nos, ICICI Credit card nos etc. etc. After all verification they said i was a defaulter as per their system, but they aggreed that they Credit Card Physical statement was correct and showed that i paid all my bills in advance. so i went to ICICIbank.com and was shocked to see that the credit card Holder name was different from the name in the physical statement. I had to Verify all my transaction from that time.....
I made complaints to ICICI phone banking officer and in ICICI branches as well. Luckly the Card Holder name was changed 3 months after serveral calls to ICICI.

When i said to loan dept. that when u find the Credits in good Status in the Physical statement why do u update that correctly in you system, they said that they could not do that becuase they work for some other dept. i guess they have a serious Intergration Problem in their Systems

 
At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i need the contact no of EXPRESS-IT courier vide airway.So that i can get in touch with them and collect my card by my own. bill no-7400836074

 
At Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EXPRESS-IT courier vide airway knows only the address of ICICI not the customer.It seems that ICICI making FOOL to their client by telling about it courier service.
If I get the person infornt of me telling this courier I will slap him.

Rajnish

 
At Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:48:00 AM, Blogger Prabhu Balaji said...

It's Just scary! I'm not going to recommend ICICI to any one. God forbid I just requested an internet password pin and I received the same SMS as yours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

 
At Monday, July 16, 2007 8:10:00 AM, Blogger Saro said...

I hope the bug is not yet recovered from ICICI bank side.

The above story is happening to me now. I came to this blog after through google the Express IT courriers name.

Right now I am out of country and i am making International call to make the request. This is the 4th time that i am requesting to deliver the password in last 2 months. Every time i spend more that 45 minutes over phone. I dont know when i am going to get the password.

 
At Monday, July 30, 2007 10:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE EXPRESS IT HAS NOT DELIVERED MY CREDIT CARD OF ICICI BANK TO MY ADDRESS BUT INFORMED THE BANK THAT THE ADDRESS IS NOT TRACABLE AND THE BANK GAVE THE AIRWAY BILL NO AND CORRIER TELEPHONE NOS ECT , BUT THE CORRIER PEOPLE ARE NOT RESPONDING AND THA ICICI BANK IS NOT BOTHERED , I THINK SOME KIND OF MISCHIEF IS THERE BETWEEN THE BANK AND THE CORRIER AS I AM RECEIVING OTHER CARDS TO MY ADDRESS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM ONLT EXPRESS IT IS NOT ABLE TO DELIVER THE CORRIER AND BANK IS JUST CARELESS ABOUT THE DESPATCH OF THE CARD, BE CAREFULL IN DEALING WITH ICICI BANK & EXPRESS IT CORRIER - S V SUDHEER

 
At Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:13:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmmmmmmm........it s same story for meee too..

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a deadly combo - ICICI BANK & EXPRESS IT COURIER. I have not yet received my card after 3 attempts. I'm always at home but they say, not found and returned.

 
At Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys, I'm also stuck in this never-ending problem with ICICI and EXPRESS IT. This is my 4th time, that I have registered a request with ICICI to courier me my internet banking password and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next 7 days. This time I've found the contact information of EXPRESS IT from ICICI PBO and the no's are (for bangalore only) 080-41258204,41258760. This seems to be the contact no of their head office here in blr. For my residential address i.e in bannerghatta road, nearest branch of this courier is in BTM layout( I don't know exact location). Contact no for BTM branch is:080-41311714,41311715. I hope someone finds this helpful. Thanks.

 
At Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx for giving the contact details. I encountered the same prob regarding my internet banking passwd.
These IT courier peple are the bloody stuff.

 
At Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:05:00 AM, Blogger winhearts said...

Hi Ashish,

Find the steps to address your grievence

http://www.icicibank.com/Pfsuser/customer/html/customer_carenew_v3.html

Regards,

Sanjeev
Winhearts@googlegroups.com

 
At Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go to your icici bank branch and tell them that you want your password be delivered to your bank branch address

 
At Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:05:00 PM, Blogger Pankaj Gaonkar said...

Hey guys my name is pankaj.gaonkar its the same with me , iam also waiting for my password from 1 month its already being escalated thanks that i came to know the issue . The site to check the courier is i.e only for it courier http://www.expressitnet.com/
Hey iam even sending this site to the concerened team what the for what the users are facing
Hope this resolves the issue

 
At Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:19:00 PM, Blogger Pankaj Gaonkar said...

Hey Iam thankfull to you guys as with the telephone number i could contact the express it courier team and went to their office, they were about to send my courier back "Thanks a lot iam saved".
I got my password and was able to login . Anyway iam sending the site link to the icici bank person. Lets see what happens.

Once again thanks to all.

Regards
Pankaj

 
At Thursday, December 20, 2007 3:24:00 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

it's really stuppid service in chennai... my packgage from ICICI was not delivered after reaching chennai...it took for me to reach 10 days..... and the responce is not good.. i spoken with MR THANIGA CHALAM on 91-44-45587393...... he say's directly he don;t want any more bussiness... very bad word he is useing....

 
At Friday, December 21, 2007 9:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also tried from google ICICI and Express It courier. ICICI bank claims that my add on card has been despatched and way bill no. is given. The phone no of the Express IT courier goes without any response. I come to know that my add on card is processed only because I received the pin no. but i do not even know whether my card is in wrong hand. Am running from pillar to post for last few days. Even to hot list i need to know my card no.

 
At Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently had the misfortune of requesting atm card from the local branch of ICICI bank in Baroda. Soon my internet access got blocked. When I called the customer service, they informed me that I had requested change of pass word for internet access.Till now I have not recieved the password, which I was assuered would be delivered to my address abroad. Then I was given a trekking number for the pass word containing letter, but that tracking number was for a delivery to ICIC bank in Baroda.I am still without a pass word. I even wrote to one Harshil Mehta, some big hancho in this bank (they call it ICICI bank, face of Indian bank, it is incompetent,cosistently inconsistent cunning indian bank). So far I have no pass word and there is no telling what is happening to my account. Let us all complain to harshi.mehta@icicibank.com and see if we get a response. I wrote to him. He did reply but then the next guy who followed up has not taken any meaningful action.
I hate to compalin but I find these people absolutely hopeless. You cannot trust a word that they say.
I am in process of opening another bank account as I cannot wait. I had to transfer some money to my broker and wound up using his account at Centurian BOP. Excellent service. Perhaps because the broker knew them or what ever. These guys truely dont caer for their customers.
NV

 
At Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also had a similar incident with my ICICI credit card. The website says that you can get your password reset online. but the ICICI employee themself are not aware how to do that and they are saying it is not possible and he asked me send the screen shot where it shows you can get your password reset online. Finally, i agreed to register a request for my password reset and promptly i got a sms saying your password has been sent by Expressit corier on xx date with the Aireway bill no xxxxxx. Even after 10 days i didnot get the courier. i called the customer care and got the expressit courier brach telephone no and i called them. No body to pickup. Then i went to expressit courier website and found the status of the shipment as address incomplete. They had attempted trice for the address which is incomplete (i donot anderstand the logic). I request them to call me before they attempted for the last time. which nobody did. After two i came to know that the courier was sent back to ICICI mumbai. I called the courier office and fired them and the altimate joke is the lady who attended my call said i will try to get the document back to you (i donot understand how it is possible).Ok. forget it. I called the ICICI customer care, i told the entire story and asked them which address did they courier, they confirmed me the full address. I said fine, please send me the password again. He registered a new request and send the sms as usual. Eeven after three days i didn't received the document, when i tracked the docuemnt and i surprised to know that this was also put on hold due to incomplete address. The big joke in this i had recently received some other ICICI document through the same courier. I have just called the courier office and given my contact no and i am waiting with the hope that atleast this time i will get the password because i am unable to loging to the website without the password.

 
At Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ICICI bank cheated me in 2007.
I got a call from ICICI bank last year offering me a loan amount of Rs. 1 lakh.
I got the call from Miss Janet from the phone no 080-30200384.
At that time some of my freinds got loan at 14% interest reducing rate.
She offered me Rs. 1 lakh at 15% interest reducing rate.
After a few day, their representative came to me to get the application signed.
There were so many places to sign for me. I started signing the paper and suddenly saw that the rate of interest was written as 19% on the application form. I told him i am not willing to take the loan if it is more than 15% and asked him to return my papers (company id card xerox, address proof and so on)
He said he will call back and went . Next day, Miss Janet again called me that the rate of interest was changed. I told her to return my papers. She called me again and offered me at 17%. i told her i dont want any loan and requested her to return my papers. She again called me and offered me at 15%. I told her what about the application form where the rate of interest is written as 19%. I told her to bring an new application form. She said it would be taken care of and it would be changed to 15%. I had not even signed at all the required locations of the application form. They didnt even bother to give me the acknowlegement reciept of the application form. The acknowledgement slip should have been torn from the application form and given to me.
I never thought that ICICI would cheat me as I thought ICICI was a big brand.
They even didnt bother to give me my loan ID and a customer copy of the aggrement or application form the reason being that I would come to know that they were actually charging me at 19% instead of 15%.
They deducted the EMIs from my bank account every month automatically.

In may 2008, I happend to call the bank to enquire how many more EMIs I needed to pay.
Just by chance , I asked to reconfirm what the interest rate was. The customer care executive shocked me by telling that it was 19%. Since that day I have been calling them to reduce the amount and have spent a lot on my mobile bill. They gave me my Loan ID (LPNG00009952768) and sent me a xerox copy of the Application form. In the application form they had crossed 19% and changed to 17%. Again 17% was crossed and changed back to 19% again. In the space for EMI aslo they crossed and and changed the EMI amount. They refused to entertain me by saying that my loan was arranged by Agent chosen by ICICI and they have severed ties with the agent. I objected to that by saying that if they had authourised the agent to be their partner and the agent commits fraud, ICICI is responsible. At the time of giving the loan, they only said that they were from ICICI. Evevn now the acknowledgement slip of the application form is blank and i have the xerox copy which they sent to me last month.
They now say that my signatures are there and they cannot change the rate to 15%. There is a signature near the area where 19% was changed to 17% and again changed back to 19%. I told them that the signature was not mine. They said they cannot change the interest rate under any circumstances. I told them I would file a case against the bank. Then aslo they said they wont change the interest rate.
Not even in my wildest dreams, I never thought that ICICI would go so low and cheat their customers.
It not only about money now. I want to teach them a lesson.
Please give me any advice what steps I should take. Sould I consult a lawyer and report to media .

Thanks
Maibam Susanta Singh

 
At Friday, August 29, 2008 2:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys Chk this out the screen shot of icici bug

http://icicibug.blogspot.com/

 
At Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Siddharth Tripathi said...

Timeless incident. Its been 6 years since you went through this process. I went through a similar episode today. Some banks can't seem to learn ever. What a customer service!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home