Friday, October 09, 2009

Delete Useless e-mails, Save Earth

This strange idea struck me suddenly. I was thinking about my old mails and figured that there must be at least 30-40%, maybe more, mails which I will never refer in my life. But gmail/yahoo is faithfully retaining them, hoping that I might need them any moment.

Worst is the statistics for chat on "gtalk". I regularly chat to different people and all data goes to my storage, 90-95% of which is useless. Again huge servers are retaining them somewhere in the world.

If I put some efforts over the weekend and delete these useless things, that storage would be available for someone else to store useful data. And if I consider myself to be the world average person (Am I?), minimum 30-40% useless data is stored on servers. This required huge power/space/infrastructure to make you data available 24x7.

Now if all of us try to get rid of these useless mails and chats, suddenly there will be tremendous saving of resources.

So take some time and reduce the burden on earth.

If you know some study/research supporting or refuting my ideas, you are most welcome to share it.


2 Comments:

At Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:04:00 AM, Blogger Mithlesh said...

That's a fantastic idea. The email storage definitely requires hard drive. It is another fact that size of disks have drastically reduced in past few years and their storage capacity has increased manifolds, thanks to the data storage technology. :) Despite of this, the deletion of unused/old/spams will not only free memory but also help one keep track of good/useful emails.

I truly support your idea.

 
At Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:32:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What an idea sirji !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home